Tuesday, October 22, 2013


My son is 10 almost 11 and suffers with ADHD.  That means he is a hands on creative thinker.
He likes order, but sometimes a job can seem way too big for him to accomplish. Myself being a mother with ADHD, I understand his brain cramps.  So I try to think of creative interactive ways to help him "see" things a little clearer.

His challenge is to clean his room.  I know what I want in a clean and tidy room: laundry put away, toys picked up, trash in the bin etc.  But to him, when I say go CLEAN YOUR ROOM, he sees it as an impossible monster to conquer. "Where do I start?'  I am sure we can all relate.  It may not be my bedroom, it could be a closet, dishes or laundry.  Have you ever heard the saying....."When eating an Elephant, take one bite at a time."

This is exactly how my brain needs to function.  So, we came up with a way to play "I SPY" in a messy room that may seem to be over whelming.

You will need:
1) a piece of paper or recipe card
2) A single dice with numbers 1-6
4) A timer

On the paper number things in the room you want put away.
Here is my example.
1. Socks/underwear
2. Shirts/jackets or coats
3. Pants/PJ's
4. Shoes
5. Toys
6. Trash/ papers

another fun variation is to use colors:
1. black/white
2. red/pink
3.yellow/orange
4. brown/gold
5. green/blue
6. purple/ silver

The Point of the Game is to have them go down the list and mark the items off till the room is clean.

Article By: Stephanie Goodman Supermom of 3 and 2 bonus sons.



0 comments:

Post a Comment